Field Trips, Activities and Excursions
The International School of Toulouse has developed very strong links with the local area and population. Regular visits to Toulouse for students at all levels are organised so that they have a firm understanding and appreciation of the language, history and culture of this part of France. The School also organises residential trips to other parts of France and further afield in Europe. All activities are designed to enhance and enrich the learning experience.
The International School of Toulouse also hosts many cultural events. Distinguished writers, artists and musicians have visited the school to work with students and to present their work to parents. The Primary School holds regular ‘Theme Weeks’ and these have included Book Week where authors have visited the school, Music Week where all Primary School pupils visited Halle aux Grains in Toulouse to hear the Orchestre du Capitole, International Week where pupils learned dances from visiting specialists.
The visual and performing arts have a very prominent place in the School as can be seen by the public displays of work and the many concerts and plays which have been performed.
Topics in the Primary School may have an entry point which is characterised by a visit to a local place of interest or a visitor coming into talk to the children. In addition the French Department aims to take each class to the cinema or theatre to experience French culture first hand.
Residential visits in the autumn term have included visits to Suc et Sentenac in the Pyrénées where pupils enjoyed learning about flora and fauna of the region and visited the caves at Niaux to see prehistoric cave paintings. During the residential visit to Artigues, Hautes-Pyrénées, pupils visited the Cirque de Gavarnie, Pic du Midi, and a hydroelectric station.
'Outdoor activities' days extend the Physical Education provision. These have included visits to St Ferriol and St Nicolas de la Grave and snow days in the Pyrenees.
Some examples of Primary visits include:
- Musée St Raymond and Les Jacobins, Toulouse
- Lectoure - Pastel Workshop to study the blue dye trade
- Theatre visit - Le Petit Prince
- River Garonne Trip
- Roman Villa, Montaurin
- Park Prehistoire, Tarascon
- Dinosaur Museum in Espéraza
- Les Abattoirs
- Airbus production line, Blagnac
- Visit from Sue Hart, worker with the People of the Rainforest.
- Cite de l'Espace
- Fôret de Bouconne
- ‘Transport’ trip to Toulouse where pupils travelled on the metro, train, tram, boat and coach all in a morning!
- Visit from Circus Group
- Gardens of Natural History Museum
- Pibrac Market
- Zoo trip
- Farm trip
Some of the recent Secondary trips, activities and excursions include:
- French trip to Cap El Campestre
- History trip to Albi
- Geography & History trip to Carcassonne
- Creative Arts Day
- Watersports residential trip
- Geography trip to Rocamadour
- ISMTF Junior Mathematics Challenge
- Geography & History trip to Spain
- History trip to the WW1 Battlefields
- IB Music Conference
- IB Theatre ISTA trip to London
- CAS activity at Château d'Argy
- IB English Theatre trip
- IB French & Physics trip to Golfech Power Station